Re: Securing .pgpass File? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Darren Duncan
Subject Re: Securing .pgpass File?
Date
List pgsql-general
You should never put your passwords (or private keys) in source control; it
would be better to use the puppet/bcfg option.

Generally you want to keep your sensitive and less sensitive info separate.  If
you have passwords in version control and later want to delete them, you have to
mess with your version control history, and backups, and so on.  You really
don't want to compromise the quality of your version control.

And if you ever put passwords in version control, you should change those
passwords, so the copies in version control can be left alone, but no attacker
can use them (assuming those aren't human-chosen and provide clues to discerning
how they choose other newer passwords).

-- Darren Duncan