Re: [ADMIN] pg_upgrade from 9.1.3 to 9.2 failed - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: [ADMIN] pg_upgrade from 9.1.3 to 9.2 failed
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 9/24/12 8:55 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I can confirm that pg_upgrade does case-insensitive comparisons of
> encoding/locale names:
>
>     static void
>     check_locale_and_encoding(ControlData *oldctrl,
>                               ControlData *newctrl)
>     {
>         /* These are often defined with inconsistent case, so use pg_strcasecmp(). */
>         if (pg_strcasecmp(oldctrl->lc_collate, newctrl->lc_collate) != 0)
>             pg_log(PG_FATAL,
>                    "old and new cluster lc_collate values do not match\n");
>         if (pg_strcasecmp(oldctrl->lc_ctype, newctrl->lc_ctype) != 0)
>             pg_log(PG_FATAL,
>                    "old and new cluster lc_ctype values do not match\n");

I seem to recall that at some point in the distant past, somehow some
Linux distributions changed the canonical spelling of locale names from
xx_YY.UTF-8 to xx_YY.utf8.  So if people are upgrading old PostgreSQL
instances that use the old spelling, pg_upgrade will probably fail.  A
fix might be to take the locale name you find in pg_control and run it
through setlocale() to get the new canonical name.