Re: How many views is ok?

From: Tom Lane
Subject: Re: How many views is ok?
Date: ,
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

How many views is ok?  ("Petr Kavan", )
 Re: How many views is ok?  (John Arbash Meinel, )
 Re: How many views is ok?  (Tom Lane, )
 Re: How many views is ok?  ("Petr Kavan", )

"Petr Kavan" <> writes:
> Possibility is to create a view for each employee that chooses only his data
> and give employee privileges to this view. But I am not sure if such number
> of views does not have some performance drawbacks or even if postgre can
> support it (I expect i can).

Do you really need more than one view?  I'd consider something like

    create view emp_view as select * from emp where name = current_user;

This requires that your Postgres usernames match up with something in
the underlying table, of course.

            regards, tom lane