Re: how to proccess record returning null - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: how to proccess record returning null
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 09/14/12 8:31 AM, te wrote:
> Sorry I didnt mention it.
>
> temp is a table name.
>
> FOR r in select distinct(id) from temp
>
> There are no distinct id's in table 'temp', so record 'r' has null values.
>
> So I guess the control is not going inside the loop.
>
> Any suggestions?

there's a difference between zero records, and a record containing null
fields..

yes, if there are no records, the loop will execute zero iterations, and
result will be integer zero.

as coded, for each record, it will test if id is null or an empty
string,   the result value will be that of the last distinct(id);

since no id is likely to be null or an empty string, the odds are, it
will be returning 999 if there are any records and 0 if there aren't any.

what exactly do you WANT to do?