Re: Mapping one to many - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Richard Broersma Jr
Subject Re: Mapping one to many
Date
List pgsql-novice
--- Nabil <Nabil@kramer-smilko.com> wrote:
> Also there are better forms, other than row/column, in
> which to module data but there any Databases that support them.

I am not sure what you have in mind when you say that there are forms that are better than
row/colum.  Really a table can be thought of as a container that holds specific entities(rows)
each entity is defined by its attributes(colums).  However, I would argue that idea of
"row/column" is closer to a spreadsheet rather than a table.  Tables are distinctly different from
a spreadsheet.

> If
> you'll notice from my second message I was asking why that is so is
> so and to please enlighten me to the magic of RMDBs. I feel as if
> there is something about RMDBs that will explain alot but is just
> beyond my reach and I what to know what it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entity-relationship_model
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database_normalization

I hope this helps.

Regards,