Re: Amazon High I/O instances - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: Amazon High I/O instances
Date
List pgsql-general
On 09/13/12 2:08 PM, Sébastien Lorion wrote:
> I started db creation over, this time with 16GB maintenance_work_mem
> and fsync=off and it does not seem to have a great effect. After again
> 5 hours, during index creation, disk and cpu are barely used: 95% idle
> and 2-3 MB/s writes (150 reads/s, 90 writes/s).

I've never had to set maintenance_work_mem any higher than 1gb for
plenty good enough performance.

whats the %busy on the disk ?   if you have a slow disk device (such as
a shared virtual disk), 90 write/sec may be all its good for. MB/s is
fairly meaningless when dealing with random committed writes.