Re: Proof of concept: standalone backend with full FE/BE protocol - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: Proof of concept: standalone backend with full FE/BE protocol
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 9/2/12 7:23 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> 4. As coded, the backend assumes the incoming pipe is on its FD 0 and the
> outgoing pipe is on its FD 1.  This made the command line simple but I'm
> having second thoughts about it: if anything inside the backend tries to
> read stdin or write stdout, unpleasant things will happen.  It might be
> better to not reassign the pipe FD numbers.  In that case we'd have to
> pass them on the command line, so that the syntax would be something
> like "postgres --child 4,5 -D pgdata ...".

Would it be sufficient to just hard-code the FD's to use? I'm not sure why someone would need to change them, so long
aswe steer clear of STD(IN|OUT|ERR)...

--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                   jim@nasby.net