Re: pg_upgrade diffs on WIndows - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: pg_upgrade diffs on WIndows
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 09/05/2012 03:36 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> OK, I now have a complete handle on what's going on here, and withdraw
>> my earlier statement that I am confused on this issue :-)
>> First, one lot of CRs is produced because the pg_upgrade test script
>> calls pg_dumpall without -f and redirects that to a file, which Windows
>> kindly opens on text mode. The solution to that is to change the test
>> script to use pg_dumpall -f instead.
>> The second lot of CRs (seen in the second dump file in the diff i
>> previously sent) is produced by pg_upgrade writing its output in text
>> mode, which turns LF into CRLF. The solution to that is the patch to
>> dump.c I posted, which, as Bruce observed, does the same thing that
>> pg_dumpall does. Arguably, it should also open the input file in binary,
>> so that if there really is a CRLF in the dump it won't be eaten.
> +1 to all the above.  Do we want to risk squeezing this into 9.2.0,
> or is it better to delay?

When we (particularly Bruce and I) didn't fully understand what was
happening there was a good argument for delay, but now I'd rather put it
in so we can remove the error-hiding hack in the test script. I think
the risk is minimal.

cheers

andrew