Re: "Too far out of the mainstream" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gavin Flower
Subject Re: "Too far out of the mainstream"
Date
List pgsql-general
On 05/09/12 05:35, Scott Marlowe wrote:
On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 11:28 AM, Mike Christensen <mike@kitchenpc.com> wrote:
On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 3:38 PM, Geert Mak <pobox@verysmall.org> wrote:
I have been looking into heroku lately, they run on PostgreSQL -

https://postgres.heroku.com/postgres
Went out to lunch with a guy who worked for Redfin as well.  I guess
they're all Postgres over there too..
Since there's no reporting requirements for using postgresql
commercially etc, it's kind of a stealth database.  It's all over the
place and nobody knows it.  Meanwhile, finding qualified PostgreSQL
DBAs is pretty tough because of it's silent yet explosive growth in
usage.

Possibly there should be mandatory reporting of postgresql,
just like there is for other contagious diseases?  :-)

How about putting a notice in the release notes to encourage
people to report their usage?

Additionally, have bragging tables were people can register
their biggest postgresql database or table, peak
transactions per day, … ?  Probably best to solicit
entries first, them companies can send in results to get
themselves in the top ten, or something.

I have read to emails to one of the postgresql lists,
where people in companies with 1000's of databases had
power failures and only the postgresql databases
restarted without special recovery actions required.
The other databases mentioned were Oracle, MySql, and
SQL Server.

Cheers,
Gavin