Re: Postgresql Error ask for password - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rainer Pruy
Subject Re: Postgresql Error ask for password
Date
List pgsql-general

On 31.08.2012 16:29, José Pedro Santos wrote:
Dear all,

Im trying to install one application in my Linux but when I try to use the expression SU postgresql it ask for password, what is the password? I try my root password but dont work.
Sorry, you are a bit terse on the context of this.

Basically, there might not be a "true" password for user postgresql (if your installation is even using that user id, most use "postgres" or "pgsql")
If you are in the process of installing some application and that requests you to enter "su postgresql", than likely this procedure is expecting
you being root. Then su will succeed (if user is known at all - see above). Nevertheless, most distributions of Linux would prefer you to
do a variant of "sudo" and avoid "su" completely. So, if you are running all this as a different user (and not happen to be "postgresql" user already),
become root and proceed with "su" as told.

However, may be you step back and try to make sense out of what you are supposed to do identify (and overcome) those inaccuracies, that seem
to exists with your instructions.

Or are you just poking around based on experience that do not perfectly fit with the current environment?

The symptoms you depict match a variety of causes (and problems),
thus it really is difficult to give proper advice....

Rainer

Thanks for your time

Ciao
Jose Santos