Re: Using GIT to caught delta between database versions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Using GIT to caught delta between database versions
Date
List pgsql-general
On 06/13/2018 11:13 AM, Łukasz Jarych wrote:
> Hi Adrian,
>
> thank you .
>
> why i should use sqitch or any other software to catch the delta?
>
> When i will export plan-text SQL , git should catch delta automatically?
> Can you please explain it?

You are correct Git will catch the changes in the plain text files.

What is nice about Sqitch and similar tools is they offer additional
functionality, such as deploying to different servers(production, dev,
testing, etc), declaring dependencies between changes, rolling back
individual changes, etc. To get a sense of what is possible take a look
here:

https://metacpan.org/pod/sqitchtutorial

I have found it very useful. It comes down to individual preference.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com