Re: [WIP] Performance Improvement by reducing WAL for Update Operation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: [WIP] Performance Improvement by reducing WAL for Update Operation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 27.08.2012 15:18, Amit kapila wrote:
> I have implemented the WAL Reduction Patch for the case of HOT Update as pointed out by Simon and Robert. In this
patchit only goes for Optimized WAL in case of HOT Update with other restrictions same as in previous patch.

> The performance numbers for this patch are attached in this mail. It has improved by 90% if the page has fillfactor
80.

> Now going forward I have following options:
> a. Upload the patch in Open CF for WAL Reduction which contains reductution for HOT and non-HOT updates.
> b. Upload the patch in Open CF for WAL Reduction which contains reductution for HOT updates.
> c. Upload both the patches as different versions.

Let's do it for HOT updates only. Simon & Robert made good arguments on
why this is a bad idea for non-HOT updates.