Re: At what point does a big table start becoming too big? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gavin Flower
Subject Re: At what point does a big table start becoming too big?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 23/08/12 11:06, Nick wrote:
> I have a table with 40 million rows and haven't had any performance issues yet.
>
> Are there any rules of thumb as to when a table starts getting too big?
>
> For example, maybe if the index size is 6x the amount of ram, if the table is 10% of total disk space, etc?

I think it would be good to specify the context.

For example:
The timeliness of a database required to support an ship based
anti-missile system would require far more stringent timing
considerations than a database used to retrieve scientific images based
on complicated criteria.

The size of records, how often updated/deleted, types of queries, ...
would also be useful.

Unfortunately it might simply be a case of "It depends..."!

Cheers,
Gavin