Re: Can column name aliases be supported? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Can column name aliases be supported?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 08/23/2012 06:41 AM, Bosco Rama wrote:
> Ooops!  Hit send too fast...
>
> On 08/22/12 15:34, Bosco Rama wrote:
>> On 08/22/12 15:19, Gauthier, Dave wrote:
>>>
>>> I know a view can be used to alias one of them.
>>
>> It can alias all of them:
>>
>> create view xyz as
>>     select *, last_name as lname, last_name as surname
>>        from mytable;
>>
>> (not the nicest version but functional)
>
> ... and then use an INSTEAD/ALSO rule to do the update, if needed.

... though if the user UPDATEd more then one of them, who knows what'd
happen.

I'd either (a) fire the client, or (b) define different views for
different clients, with appropriate DO INSTEAD triggers (9.1) or rules
(9.0 and below).

(a) would be awfully tempting.

--
Craig Ringer