Re: NULL value comparison - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: NULL value comparison
Date
List pgsql-general
On 08/22/2012 10:58 PM, Michael Sacket wrote:
> Thank you all very much!
>
> Unfortunately I can't change the query... but I can modify the data.  I updated the NULL values to 'N' and put the
appropriateNOT NULL constraint and a default value of 'N'.

What tool/app is generating the query? They need to be told they're
doing something wrong and unsafe - unless it's documented that the
target column must be NOT NULL, anyway.

PostgreSQL has a workaround for one such wrong, broken and unsafe
program, Microsoft Access. However the workaround is limited to
transforming "= NULL" to "IS NOT NULL"; it doesn't actually change the
semantics of NULL.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/interactive/runtime-config-compatible.html#GUC-TRANSFORM-NULL-EQUALS

--
Craig Ringer