Re: sha1, sha2 functions into core? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: sha1, sha2 functions into core?
Date
Re: sha1, sha2 functions into core?
List pgsql-hackers
On 08/15/2012 06:48 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 6:11 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>>> Is there a TODO here?
>
> If anybody's concerned about the security of our password storage,
> they'd be much better off working on improving the length and randomness
> of the salt string than replacing the md5 hash per se.

Or change to an md5 HMAC rather than straight md5 with salt. Last I
checked (which admittedly was a while ago) there were still no known
cryptographic weaknesses associated with an HMAC based on md5.

Joe

--
Joe Conway
credativ LLC: http://www.credativ.us