Re: Parsing of pg_hba.conf and authentication inconsistencies - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Parsing of pg_hba.conf and authentication inconsistencies
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> (I think it's better to reuse the same postmaster executable, because
>> that way it's easier to have the same parsing routines.)

> Change that to pg_ctl and you have a deal :)

Did you not understand Alvaro's point?  Putting this functionality into
pg_ctl will result in huge code bloat, because it will have to duplicate
a lot of code that already exists inside the postgres executable.

I don't object to having a pg_ctl option to call "postgres --check",
but I do object to maintaining two copies of the same code.