Re: Regression test fails when BLCKSZ is 1kB - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Decibel!
Subject Re: Regression test fails when BLCKSZ is 1kB
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Apr 21, 2008, at 7:25 AM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Am Montag, 21. April 2008 schrieb Zdenek Kotala:
>> I compiled postgreSQL with 1kB block size and regresion test
>> fails. Main
>> problem is that output is correct but in different order. See
>> attachment.
>
> This was previously reported:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-11/msg00901.php
>
>> I think affected test should contain order by keyword.
>
> For previously established reasons, we don't want to add ORDER BY
> clauses to
> every test that might fail under exceptional circumstances so we
> test all
> plan types equally.  I think very small block sizes are fairly
> exceptional,
> unless you have a reason up your sleeve why they are a good idea.

What if we used the OFFSET 0 trick to force the ordering to occur
outside of what we're testing? IE:

SELECT * FROM (query we're testing OFFSET 0) ORDER BY blah;
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  decibel@decibel.org