Re: partitioning - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: partitioning
Date
List pgsql-general
On 08/10/12 6:00 PM, Jeff Potter wrote:
> Is it possible that you have any "idle in transaction" connections holding those tables open? See what you get when
youshow locks.

its very possible.   the developer thought he'd fixed all those and was
surprised they were recurring.    they are coming from JDBC by default
starting a transaction on a simple SELECT.  we don't 'commit' after
selects as this code was written for Oracle, where plain selects dont
have side effects like this.   this is only a problem in Postgres.   the
intent is to use connections with 'autocommit on' for pure read
threads.... however, this is a very large and complex code base, and
site specific code is added by field engineering, so sometimes stuff
slips in.