How to don't update sequence on rollback of a transaction - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Frank Lanitz
Subject How to don't update sequence on rollback of a transaction
Date
Re: How to don't update sequence on rollback of a transaction  (Chris Angelico <rosuav@gmail.com>)
Re: How to don't update sequence on rollback of a transaction  (Craig Ringer <ringerc@ringerc.id.au>)
List pgsql-general
Hi folks,

I did a test with transactions and wondered about an behavior I didn't
expected. At http://pastebin.geany.org/bYQNo/raw/ I posted a complete
backlog for.

To make it short: I created a table with a serial and started a
transactions. After this I was inserting values into the table but did a
rollback. However. The sequence of the serial filed has been incremented
by 1 on each insert (which is fine), but wasn't reset after rollback of
transaction.

Documentation stats:
"If, partway through the transaction, we decide we do not wantto commit
(perhaps we just noticed that Alice's balance went   negative), we can
issue the command ROLLBACK instead of COMMIT, and all our updates so far
will be canceled."

My understanding of all was that it includes sequences. Obviously, I'm
wrong... but how to do it right?

Cheers,
Frank