Re: debian / cvs - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: debian / cvs
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
It's rumoured that Raphaël Enrici once said:
>>Can this work under /pkg/debian?
>>
> unfortunately not, but we can still have a script that does the trick
> (something similar to what's done in upstream wxWindows for example)
> and  if the pgadmin files are still organized like what I'm waiting for
> (see  below), the script can be something like :
> cd pgadmin3-0.1.1 ; mv pkg/debian . ; dpkg-buildpackage -b -rfakeroot
> Not that complex isn't it ? :)

Not really :-)

> will tar tzvf pgadmin3-0.x.x.tar.gz still give something like
> pgadmin3-0.x.x/files
> and then
> pgadmin3-1.0.0/files
> If yes, everything is fine! :)

Yes, it will (another :-) )

> No, pgAdmin is well developped, autoconf scripts are a dream and
> everything builds quite easily once wxWindows is ok.

Did you hear that Adam?

> I think that the complexity comes from the fact I try to get some
> "good"  packages (I mean things like all dependencies for build section
> and  runtimes section well documented for example) and that I don't
> want to  do bad choices concerning the way of doing it so that it is
> possible in  the future to go in official debian without much work.
>
> Hope I didn't mess you with my personal fears :)

Not at all. It's good to plan ahead where possible. The one thing I've
learnt during the 7 (8?) years I've been writing pgAdmin, is that no
matter how much you look forward when writing the code, there will always
be something that causes grief later! Therefore I always try to think
ahead as much as possible.
> I send you debian files in private to take care of others on the list.

OK.

Cheers, Dave.