Re: BUG #6742: pg_dump doesn't convert encoding of DB object names to OS encoding - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Alexander Law
Subject Re: BUG #6742: pg_dump doesn't convert encoding of DB object names to OS encoding
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Hello,

The dump file itself is correct. The issue is only with the non-ASCII
object names in pg_dump messages.
The messages text (which is non-ASCII too) displayed consistently with
right encoding (i.e. with OS encoding thanks to libintl/gettext), but
encoding of db object names depends on the dump encoding and thus
they're getting unreadable when different encoding is used.
The same can be reproduced in Linux (where console encoding is UTF-8)
when doing dump with Windows-1251 or Latin1 (for western european
languages).

Thanks,
Alexander

    Bug reference:      6742
    Logged by:          Alexander LAW
    Email address:      exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com
    PostgreSQL version: 9.1.4
    Operating system:   Windows

    When I try to dump database with UTF-8 encoding in Windows, I get unreadable
    object names.
    Please look at the screenshot (http://oi50.tinypic.com/2lw6ipf.jpg). On the
    left window all the pg_dump messages displayed correctly (except for the
    prompt password (bug #6510)), but the non-ASCII object name is gibberish. On
    the right window (where dump is done with the Windows 1251 encoding (OS
    Encoding for Russian locale)) everything is right.

Did you check the dump file using an editor that can handle UTF-8?
The Windows console is not known for properly handling that encoding.

Thomas