Re: How does server handle clients that disconnect ungracefully? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: How does server handle clients that disconnect ungracefully?
Date
List pgsql-general
> The only time the server will wait for a time out is if the server and
> the client are on different machines and something disrupts actual
> communications.

Right, you need connectivity loss to create an issue --- a client
program crash doesn't cause this type of problem.  The most common
form of the problem that I've heard about is routers deciding to drop a
connection that's been idle too long.

BTW, on some platforms it's possible to change the timeout settings so
that a lost connection is abandoned more quickly by the TCP stack.
See the tcp_keepalives_xxx parameters if you need to do that.

            regards, tom lane