Re: need for in-place upgrades (was Re: State of - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lincoln Yeoh
Subject Re: need for in-place upgrades (was Re: State of
Date
Re: need for in-place upgrades (was Re: State of
List pgsql-general
>At 07:16 PM 9/13/2003 -0400, Lamar Owen wrote:
>'migration' server.  And I really don't want to think about dump/restore
>of 100TB (if PostgreSQL actually stores the image files, which it might).

Hmm. Just curious, do people generally backup 100TB of data, or once most
reach this point they have to hope that it's just hardware failures they'll
deal with and not software/other issues?

100TB sounds like a lot of backup media and time... Not to mention ensuring
that the backups will work with available and functioning backup hardware.

Head hurts just to think about it,

Link.