Strange Startup Behavior - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From David Rickard
Subject Strange Startup Behavior
Date
List pgsql-novice
OK--We're using PG 7.3.4 on Solaris (SunOS 5.9 Generic_112233-07 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-250);
We have a home-brewed startup script in /etc/init.d which invokes postmaster via this command:
        su - ${pg_user} -c "${pg_home}/bin/pg_ctl start -D ${pg_data} -s -l ${pg_log} -o '-i'"
After system startup, doing a pg_ctl status gives a "postmaster is running" message--but often with a PID that does not match anything returned via ps -ef; trying to connect remotely (say, vi pgAdmin) gives connection errors (usually could not connect to remote socket); trying to shutdown postmaster via pg_ctl fails--with a no process/no PID message; doing a pg_ctl start produces multiple postmaster processes--all of which then shutdown the next time pg_ctl stop is run;
Any ideas?

--

David Rickard
Software Engineer

The GTS Companies:
GTS Publishing Services, GTS Graphics, GTS Innova:
Your Single-Source Solution!
Los Angeles CA  *  York, PA  *  Boston MA  *  New Delhi, India

David.Rickard@GTSCompanies.com
Visit us on the World Wide Web
http://www.gtscompanies.com
5650 Jillson St., Los Angeles, CA 90040