Re: RE : full featured alter table? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ernest E Vogelsinger
Subject Re: RE : full featured alter table?
Date
List pgsql-general
At 07:55 16.06.2003, Jim C. Nasby said:
--------------------[snip]--------------------
>99.999% of the time, if you put SELECT * into code, you should be strung
>up by your own entrails. But do you mean to tell me that when you're
>testing stuff on the command line you never, ever use SELECT *?
--------------------[snip]--------------------

Sure I do. But I don't really care about column ordering when doing a
SELECT * from the psql command line. If I care I usually have a dummy file
named "x" (because that's so damn short ;->), hack in my complex test
queries there, and do a \i x in psql. If I just want to see if something's
there (or not) I'm not interected in column order. Are you?

Basically as I understand it, SELECT * means "gimme all", not in any
particular order. How if at all is that defined in ANSI SQL?

--
   >O     Ernest E. Vogelsinger
   (\)    ICQ #13394035
    ^     http://www.vogelsinger.at/