7.3.4 Question - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Naomi Walker
Subject 7.3.4 Question
Date
List pgsql-admin
Last night, we upgraded from 7.1.2 to 7.3.4 on our Sun E3500's, running
Solaris 6.  Everything went well, except that we appear to have dodged a
bullet, and that mystifies me.

Somehow, nobody noticed that the data filesystem was at 100%, yet this
heavily used application that uses postgres continued to run without error.
df -k show about 20k blocks unused.

Had this been in the old instance, i'd assume new rows were added to holes
in the database, where data was deleted.  Since we pg_dumpall'd from one
instance to another, i'm sure the tables were all rebuilt without holes and
are all nice and tidy now.

The pgsql.log showed a bunch of rows like the following:

2003-12-03 20:33:22 LOG:  recycled transaction log file 0000000000000000
2003-12-03 20:33:22 LOG:  recycled transaction log file 0000000000000001
2003-12-03 20:33:22 LOG:  recycled transaction log file 0000000000000002

There were no messages about being out of space.

Does Postgres have some keen trick to trash log files when you are out of
space, or did something else save our behinds?

Happy but curious,
Naomi

Naomi Walker                         Chief Information Officer
                                               Eldorado Computing, Inc.
nwalker@eldocomp.com           602-604-3100

Never eat more than you can lift.  - Miss Piggy

-- CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE --

This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain
informationthat is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the
intendedaddressee, nor authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use,
copy,disclose or distribute to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received
thismessage in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email, and delete the message. Thank you.