a few questions - Mailing list pgsql-cygwin

From William Grigg
Subject a few questions
Date
List pgsql-cygwin
Gentlemen,

I am hoping to be able to use GForge on my windows PC. To that end I have installed:
    1. cygwin
    2. reinstalled cygwin and selected cygipc, postgreSQL and a few other things
    3. PHP
    4 Apache
    5. downloaded and installed the GForge3 directory tree

I am listing the above just in case someone out there thinks I should uninstall some stuff. In any event, this is a
learningprocess for me, and I am still learning. One thing I think I have learned, is that with the correct
installationoptions selected, I could have just done the Internet cygwin install, and not have bothered with separately
installingApache and PHP. Recently, someone very kindly pointed me to
http://www.tishler.net/jason/software/postgresql/postgresql-7.3.2.READMEwhich I am currently trying to follow. My plan
isto reinstall cygwin, but making sure that I include all of the packages mentioned in the README. Here are some things
thatare a little unclear right now:
    1. Should I do the basic install, or the NT services? I will assume NT services unless someone says otherwise.
    2. Are the commands shown in the README meant to be executed from the cygwin bash shell window? I assume so.
    3. Assuming that I install the NT services version, what will I see running under Windows Task Manager - Processes?
Iassume there will be something that appears there
    4. I do not really need to compile and build postgreSQL to get it running do I? I hope not.

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Bill