Re: Row Limit on tables - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lincoln Yeoh
Subject Re: Row Limit on tables
Date
List pgsql-general
At 03:25 AM 6/1/02 +0900, Curt Sampson wrote:
>It's way, way too easy these days to run up a terrabyte of RAID-5
>storage. One Escalade 7850 controller ($500) plus eight 160 GB drives
>($250 each) sets you out about $2500. But the problem is, all this
>storage often doesn't have the I/O bandwidth you need actually to make
>use of it....

Use smaller HDDs, or if cost is not a big issue just use the faster
portions of the big HDDs.

The smaller HDDs are about the same speed as the big ones of the same model
range- the bigger ones just have more platters.

But the bigger ones allow you to throw away slower space. By using just the
faster portions (the outer edges) you can reduce seek time by a few
milliseconds, and keep throughput in the higher bands.

Cheerio,
Link.