Re: pg_dump DROP commands and implicit search paths - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Lincoln Yeoh
Subject Re: pg_dump DROP commands and implicit search paths
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At 06:58 AM 5/14/02 +0100, Oliver Elphick wrote:
> > retarget a dump script to be reloaded in some other schema.  If the
> > dump is cluttered with umpteen thousand copies of the schema name
> > that's going to be difficult.
>
>sed -e 's/ old_schema\./ new_schema./g'
>
>I don't think you should allow the dump to be ambiguous for the sake of
>making rarely used actions slightly more convenient.

Erm, from what I see on this list, people regularly dump and reload, often
for performance reasons. There's also dev|backup<->production|live.

So I don't think dumping and reloading into another schema would be that
rare nor should it be difficult.

sed can screw up the data. I suppose we could do schema and data dumps
separately but :(. Would that actually work tho? Might come in handy one
not so fine day ;)...

Regards,
Link.