Re: INSERT/UPDATE ... RETURNING - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Philip Warner
Subject Re: INSERT/UPDATE ... RETURNING
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At 07:37 PM 28/04/2003 +1000, Gavin Sherry wrote:
>Oracle is one of the only commercial
>databases supporting this functionality.

DecRDB does too; it restricts update...returning to only return one row,
and throws an error if more than one row is updated. It covers 95% of
cases, but returning multiple rows might be nice.

>3) Inherited updates affecting multiple tables
>
>Seems that it would be the right thing to do to allow returning of
>inherited rows, but it might be a bit painful to implement. Ideas?

My preference would be to return all rows that were affected.

>4) Handling rule cases
>
>Seems reasonable to allow RETURNING when the query is re-written to a
>single query and that the operation is not transformed.

The main thing that I think you need to cover is to ensure that common
implementations of updateable views are supported in a reasonable way.
Which this sounds like it does.

Fax: (+61) 03 5330 3172          |                 ___________ |
Http://www.rhyme.com.au          |                /           \|                                 |    --________--
PGP key available upon request,  |  /