Re: trying to learn plpqsql... so please forgive.. - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Michiel Lange
Subject Re: trying to learn plpqsql... so please forgive..
Date
List pgsql-sql
To those who pointed at the SELECT currval <pkey-name>, thanks!, I think
this is what I need instead of a trigger. So the real problem is solved I
think. However I am quite curious about the plpgsql thing, I think I may
need to use it, or may WANT to use it (performance wise... better to be as
close as possible to the database whenever possible is one of my mottos ;->)

So I will go in more detail about the case, as I am one of those people who
can hardly learn from books, but far more by seeing a case and a
solution... then apply it to some other problem instead... a strength and
weakness in one ;->

Let's say I created this table

CREATE TABLE mytable(        my_key SERIAL NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,        row1 VARCHAR(5),        row2 VARCHAR(15),
row3 TEXT);

And this function:
CREATE FUNCTION add_cust() RETURNS INT4 AS ' -- SERIAL data type is really
an INT4 (and some more).
BEGIN        RETURN NEW.my_key;
END;
' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';
 CREATE TRIGGER add_cust BEFORE INSERT ON mytable FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE add_cust();

Ok, now I know it won't work... the idea was to use this with PHP in a
webclient interface where the customer could give some information about
him/herself and then would be registered with the customer number generated
by the SERIAL type.
Would it work if I did a CREATE TRIGGER add_cust AFTER INSERT... ? (mention
the AFTER instead of BEFORE)

Please mind that the problem has now migrated to solved but still curious
*g* :)

Michiel