Problems invoking psql. Help please. - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Hugh Esco
Subject Problems invoking psql. Help please.
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hey folks:

I am able to consistently start and stop the postgreSQL server and to
access it across our office network with pgAdmin II.  I have had no luck
invoking the psql command line prompt, from where I can enter queries and
start to surmount the learning curve from background with mySQL to my next
step with postgreSQL.  Can anyone help me figure out, please, what this is
about and what I can do about it?

I've copied the shell dialogue below.
Everything in: /usr/lib/postgresql/bin is owned by root:root.
Who should these files be owned by?
The database engine is invoked as postgres,
which is the user which created the databse.
Do I harm anything if I chown postgres:postgres
for everything in that directory?

Will this get me past this error and to a psql prompt?

One more note:  when I first got the error:
>env: /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/readpgenv: Permission denied

I looked and determined that no such file existed, so I created an empty
(one character) file by that name with a shell level echo command and set
the permissions to match those of every other file in the directory.  What
should that file really contain?

I am operating on a Debian Woody Platform,
with postgreSQL 7.2.1 and ODBC driver 7.1.9.

All help is appreciated.  Thanks.

-- Hugh Esco