Re: Answering my own question - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Chris
Subject Re: Answering my own question
Date
List pgsql-novice
>Now THAT's REALLY fascinating.  We upgraded from 6.5 to 7.1 about 4-5
>months ago , and only got this problem after that. I leave "ANALYZE" out of
>VACUUM due to the large volume of (I though needless) output that gets
>piped to my cron_log.
>
>Does anyone have a feal for how "necessary" VACUUM ANALYZE is over "VACUUM"
>??

As you noticed, pretty necessary :)

A vacuum analyze updates the statistics used when the planner decides on
what action to take (whether it's a sequential scan, using an index etc).

A plain vacuum removes dead tuples from the system, not much else.

      Chris Smith
http://www.squiz.net/