Re: Can PostGreSQL handle 100 user database? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brian C. Doyle
Subject Re: Can PostGreSQL handle 100 user database?
Date
Re: Can PostGreSQL handle 100 user database?  (The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>)
List pgsql-general
Another thing to rember about PostgreSQL is DB Size vs CPU bits

8.1 CPU types - 32-bit or 64-bit
Performance of 32-bit cpu machines will decline rapidly when the database size exceeds 5 GigaByte. You can run 30 gig database on 32-bit cpu but the performance will be degraded. Machines with 32-bit cpu imposes a limitation of 2 GB on RAM, 2 GB on file system sizes and other limitations on the operating system. Use the special filesystems for linux made by SGI, IBM or HP or ext3-fs to support file-sizes greater than 2 GB on 32-bit linux machines.
For extremely large databases, it is strongly advised to use 64-bit machines like Digital Alpha cpu, Sun Ultra-sparc 64-bit cpu, Silicon graphics 64-bit cpu, Intel Merced IA-64 cpu, HPUX 64bit machines or IBM 64-bit machines. Compile PostgreSQL under 64-bit cpu and it can support huge databases and large queries. Performance of PostgreSQL for queries on large tables and databases will be several times faster than PostgreSQL on 32-bit cpu machines. Advantage of 64-bit machines are that you get very large memory addressing space and the operating system can support very large file-systems, provide better performance with large databases, support much larger memory (RAM), have more capabilities etc..

found at http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/PostgreSQL-HOWTO-8.html