Re: case-insensitive SELECT - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Ryan Ho
Subject Re: case-insensitive SELECT
Date
List pgsql-novice
At 06:20 PM 6/11/01 +0200, Giorgio A. wrote:
>hi, i'm trieing to do a case-insensitive SELECT but i can't find a tag
>preposed to this scope.
>
>i tried to use ILIKE but i get a pg_error.... maybe it's not implemented in
>version 7.0.3 ? if so, have i any alternative way to do this
>case-insensitive SELECT ?

You're referring to text comparisons like "LIKE"?
For case insensitive comparisons I normally use the regular expression
method, which is "~*", where "*" means "to-ignore-case".

e.g.

SELECT address FROM people WHERE name ~* 'sam'

Regards
Ryan