Temp Tables & Connection Pooling - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Gerald Gutierrez
Subject Temp Tables & Connection Pooling
Date
List pgsql-sql
I use PostgreSQL via a connection pooling mechanism, whether it be J2EE or
PHP. I've been able to achieve good performance this way, and it has been
good to me.

Recently I wanted to implement Dijkstra's algorithm as a stored procedure,
and finding that PL/PGSQL cannot return record sets, I thought about using
a temporary table for the results. If tempoary tables are session-specific,
however, then wouldn't connection pooling make it unusable since the table
might "disappear" from one query to the next? What are alternative
approaches to implementing Dijkstra's algorithm inside the database?

I'd appreciate any insights.

Gerald.