Re: Serials - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Thomas Swan
Subject Re: Serials
Date
List pgsql-sql
At 1/12/2001 10:35 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>Mr. Naik,
>
> > What's the purpose of Serials in Data types of postgres ?
> > TIA
> > Sharmad

SERIAL is the same as makeing a column and then setting the default value
to a sequence.  If you insert and don't specify the column that is of type
serial it will have a new unique value on each insert.  The datatype in a
serial
column is an int4.

>This topic is more than adequately covered in both the
>online documentation and Bruce Momjian's book.  If language
>or other problems are preventing you from finding the
>correct reference, please reply and I'll give you a pointer.
>Othervwise, RTFM.

These things are explained with little effort.  Granted sometimes these
are easily answered by consulting documentation, but sometimes all
anyone is looking for is a simple, quick answer.

Thomas