Re: When is a shared library unloaded? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Jon Horsman
Subject Re: When is a shared library unloaded?
Date
List pgsql-sql
> "Jon Horsman" <horshaq@gmail.com> writes:
> > I'm randomly having issues with my triggers not firing (it turns out
> > they are getting removed) and when i turned INFO logs on i saw the
> > following
>
> > 2007-08-14 13:41:44.740305500 LOCATION:  _fini, medbevent_init.c:129
> > 2007-08-14 13:41:45.790850500 INFO:  00000: medbeventlib -Unloading
> > library _fini() is called
>
> > Could someone please explain when a shared library gets
> > loaded/unloaded and how this all works?
>
> Are you sure the above doesn't just occur during server process
> termination?  AFAIK Postgres never unloads a library, except when you
> specifically command it to load an updated version via the LOAD command.
>
>                         regards, tom lane

Yup, the server process is still up and going, i have other clients
connected to postgres that still function when this happens.  I'm not
using the LOAD command anywhere so thats not the problem.  One of my
colleagues was doing some reading and said he found something that
stating that the fini() function is "unreliable", i'm not sure where
he read that though...

Jon.