Re: Does pgsql database (file) size increases automatically as we put data? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Josh Kupershmidt
Subject Re: Does pgsql database (file) size increases automatically as we put data?
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 6:33 AM, leela <its_leela@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have a basic query about the FILE SIZE of database file..
>
> Does pgsql database (file) size increases automatically as we put data or are there any things specific which we do
duringinstallation that restricts file size, etc?

Here's a query that will show how much disk space is being used by the
tables and indexes in a given schema. Just substitute your schema name
for 'your_schema_name'.

select relname, pg_size_pretty( pg_relation_size( oid ) ) AS size_alone,
  pg_size_pretty( pg_total_relation_size( oid ) ) AS total_size_incl_indexes
from pg_class where relnamespace =
  ( select oid from pg_namespace where nspname = 'your_schema_name')
order by pg_relation_size( oid ) desc;

You might also want to keep an eye on how much disk space is being
consumed by your PGDATA directory if you're worried about running out
of space.

 Josh