Re: pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Josh Kupershmidt
Subject Re: pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 12:58 AM, David Saracini<dsaracini@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Ultimately, what I would like is to have my app server kick off every night
> at a configurable time and save a backup to a configurable location.  Any
> advice on how to accomplish this and do it without writing the password to
> disk?

Depends on what you mean by "without writing the password to disk" (do you not
want the password hardcoded into your source code, do you not want a
.pgpass file,
do you not want it in a crontab or .bat file -- you'll have to have
the password
*somewhere*), and on what platform you're on. If you're on Windows,
see the backup
guide here:
  http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Automated_Backup_on_Windows

This topic has also been discussed in numerous other places, e.g.
  http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-php/2005-04/msg00007.php
  http://almosteffortless.com/2008/10/29/postgresql-backup-tips-for-n00bz/

 - Josh