Re: delete then insert - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Ron
Subject Re: delete then insert
Date
List pgsql-admin
On 1/17/20 2:03 PM, Ken Benson wrote:

So – I THINK I know – that when a row is deleted from a table – the row is not actually removed from the table – but, merely marked as deleted, thus becoming a dead tuple.
AUTOVACUUM – takes care of the process of removing these dead tuples.

My question. If – an insert occurs to that same table before autovacuum comes along, does that inserted record use a dead tuple? Or – does the insert result in an actual added row?

If there's an open transaction which is still looking at the now-deleted record, then over-writing that area of the file would be a Bad Thing.