Re: Password identifiers, protocol aging and SCRAM protocol - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Password identifiers, protocol aging and SCRAM protocol
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 10/17/2016 12:18 PM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> You removed the part of pgcrypto in charge of randomness, nice move. I
> was wondering about how to do with the perfc and the unix_std at some
> point, and ripping them off as you did is fine for me.

Yeah. I didn't understand the need for the perfc stuff. Are there
Windows systems that don't have the Crypto APIs? I doubt it, but the
buildfarm will tell us in a moment if there are.

And if we don't have a good source of randomness like /dev/random, I
think it's better to fail, than try to collect entropy ourselves (which
is what unix_std did). If there's a platform where that doesn't work,
someone will hopefully send us a patch, rather than silently fall back
to an iffy implementation.

- Heikki