Re: Regular Expressions and SELECT - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From douggorley@shaw.ca
Subject Re: Regular Expressions and SELECT
Date
List pgsql-novice
I haven't done this myself, but I strongly suspect the usage is more like

SELECT * FROM sometable WHERE somefield ~ '^d' ;

Doug Gorley | douggorley@shaw.ca

Hi,
I'm working through Bruce Momjian's online tutorial on PostreSQL, and am
now trying to get my head around regular expressions.  The tutorial says
that ~ '^X' where 'X' is a character, will find table entries beginning
with that character.

When I try it ...

    SELECT * FROM testdb ~'^d' ;
    ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "~"

I get this, irrespective of the regular expression that I use.  It _is_ a
tilde, isn't it ?  Or is my eyesight going ..?  :-(

Thanks.

D.

--
Desmond Coughlan          |'Io non mori, e non rimasi vivo'
desmond@zeouane.org