Re: Why does it sort rows after a nested loop that uses already-sorted indexes? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From negora
Subject Re: Why does it sort rows after a nested loop that uses already-sorted indexes?
Date
List pgsql-general
 > That's a level of analysis that it doesn't do...

Great. I suspected that, but I needed a confirmation from a reliable
source. Thank you!

 > ...and TBH I'm not even
 > entirely sure it's correct to assume that the output is sorted like
 > that.  At minimum you'd need an additional assumption that the
 > outer side's join key is unique, which is a factor that we don't
 > currently track when reasoning about ordering.

Ouch! I hadn't thought about that possibility! When I tried to mentally
reproduce the nested loop, I always considered the values of the outer
loop to be unique. I guess that was because, very often, I used unique
indexes for my tests... But it doesn't have to be so, of course.

Best regards.