Re: LDAP where DN does not include UID attribute - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Robert Fleming
Subject Re: LDAP where DN does not include UID attribute
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 4:23 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Robert Fleming <fleminra@gmail.com> writes:
> But I would like to authenticate to PostgreSQL using the "uid" LDAP
> attribute,

What value does that have that would justify doubling the time needed
to authenticate?  (I presume two LDAP requests will take about twice
as long as one...)

That's just the way the company LDAP is setup -- it's out of my control unfortunately.

Our schema used to have the uid in the DN, and I always wrote our enterprise software to just do the bind without a search.  When the LDAP schema changed, my reaction was the same as yours, but when I saw that Bugzilla, MediaWiki, etc. accommodate it without flinching, I figured it wasn't too uncommon, so I changed my own software.  Other software that supports it: Tiki wiki, Apache's mod_authnz_ldap, ejabberd.  I think I had to tweak some Perl for jabberd <jabberd.org> to handle it.

It might be twice as slow, but if PostgreSQL were smart or configurable enough, it could skip the search when not necessary.  So performance needn't be impacted.

Robert