Re: BUG #5227: please add a divide operator for intervals - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Michał Pasternak
Subject Re: BUG #5227: please add a divide operator for intervals
Date
List pgsql-bugs
1 month / 1 day equals 30.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Lane [mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us]
Sent: Thursday, December 03, 2009 12:46 AM
To: Michal Pasternak
Cc: pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [BUGS] BUG #5227: please add a divide operator for intervals

"Michal Pasternak" <michal.dtz@gmail.com> writes:
> Please add a divide operator for INTERVAL type, if possible.

Given that intervals have multiple subfields, it's far from obvious
what division should mean.  What is '1 month' / '1 day'?

> db=# SELECT EXTRACT(EPOCH FROM '15 seconds'::INTERVAL) / EXTRACT(EPOCH
FROM
> '15 seconds'::INTERVAL);

If that's the behavior you want, you already have a way to do it
(and you could wrap that up in a user-defined operator if you chose).
It loses quite a lot of information though, so I doubt we'd want
to enshrine it as the standard definition.
        regards, tom lane