Re: System load consideration before spawning parallel workers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: System load consideration before spawning parallel workers
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 8/1/16 1:08 AM, Haribabu Kommi wrote:
> There are some utilities and functions that are available to calculate the
> current system load, based on the available resources and system load,
> the module can allow the number of parallel workers that can start. In my
> observation, adding this calculation will add some overhead for simple
> queries. Because of this reason, i feel this can be hook function, only for
> the users who want it, can be loaded.

I think we need to provide more tools to allow users to control system
behavior on a more dynamic basis. How many workers to launch is a good
example. There's more reasons than just CPU that parallel workers can
help (IO being an obvious one, but possible other things like GPU).
Another example is allowing users to alter the selection process used by
autovac workers.
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)   mobile: 512-569-9461