Re: Unified logging system for command-line programs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Arthur Zakirov
Subject Re: Unified logging system for command-line programs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello,

On 22.02.2019 11:39, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Here is an updated patch.  I've finished the functionality to the point
> where I'm content with it.  I fixed up some of the remaining special
> cases in pg_dump that I hadn't sorted out last time.  I also moved the
> scattered setvbuf(stderr, ...) handling (for Windows) into a central
> place.  Colors can now be configured, too.
I played with the patch and with coloring of an output. It works neat.
On thing I noticed that some messages may have double log level. For
example:

$ psql test
psql: fatal: FATAL:  database "test" does not exist

It is becase psql appends its own level and appends the message from a
server (including servers log level). I don't think that it is nasty,
but it may confuse someone. Notice that without the patch the output is:

$ psql test
psql: FATAL:  database "test" does not exist

--
Arthur Zakirov
Russian Postgres Company