Re: how much ram do i give postgres? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Josh Close
Subject Re: how much ram do i give postgres?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 09:52:25 -0600, Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@qwest.net> wrote:
> 1: Is the bulk insert being done inside of a single transaction, or as
> individual inserts?

The bulk insert is being done by COPY FROM STDIN. It copies in 100,000
rows at a time, then disconnects, reconnects, and copies 100k more,
and repeats 'till done. There are no indexes on the tables that the
copy is being done into either, so it won't be slowed down by that at
all.

> 2: Are your fsm settings high enough for an hourly vacuum to be
> effective?

What is fsm? I'll tell you when I find that out.

> 3: How selective is the where clause for your select (1) query?  If
> there is no where clause or the where clause isn't very selective, then
> there will be a sequential scan every time.  Since PostgreSQL has to hit
> the table after using an index anyway, if it's going to retrieve a fair
> percent of a table, it just goes right to a seq scan, which for
> postgresql, is the right thing to do.

There was no where clause.

> Post "explain analyze" of your slowest queries to the performance list
> if you can.

I don't think it's a query problem ( but I could optimize them more
I'm sure ), 'cause the same query takes a long time when there are
other queries happening, and not long at all when nothing else is
going on.

-Josh